|Churchwarden||Anthony Jefferson||01789 750323|
|Churchwarden||Martin Bayliss||01789 750535|
|PCC Secretary||Barbara Bayliss||01789 750535|
|PCC Treasurer||Anthony Jefferson||As above|
|Parish Administrator||Sue Joyce||01789 750321|
Please click on the link below for the time of services at St Peters Church
ST PETER'S CHURCH - A SHORT HISTORY
St Peter's Church is the Anglican Church in the village and there has been a church on the site since at least 1286. The current church was built in 1875 and has views south over the river Avon,
Warwickshire and the Cotswolds. It was mainly paid for by the Marchioness of Hertford.
Signs of the original church remain, however. There is a fifteenth-century font and cover and a mediaeval parish chest with three locks and bound with iron bands. Furthermore, there is a stained-glass window in memory of Sir John Greville, who died in 1480 and was an MP in five Parliaments. He is buried in Weston-on-Avon. The window depicts the arms of the Greville family of Milcote. There is also a piece of wood depicting the royal coat of arms. It must date from 1714-1801 as it includes the white horse of Hanover. Finally, by the gate to enter the churchyard, there are steps built into the wall, so as to avoid using the gate. The purpose of these was for people arriving to church by horseback could easily dismount; there is still a ring by these steps where the horses would be tied.
The main feature of the Church of St Peter is a memorial window by Kempe (1915), dedicated to
Robert Falcon Scott and his co-explorers who died in their failed attempt to return from the South Pole. The window shows four scenes of the 1912 expedition. Scott had married Kathleen Bruce, sister of the Reverend Lloyd Harvey Bruce, Binton's rector between 1906-24. Scott frequently visited the Rectory (now The Grange). Alongside the window is a memorial cross for the Reverend Bruce, with a bronze sculpture of Christ designed by Kathleen.
The church has one bell, cast by Henry Bagley of Chacombe in 1669.
Just to the right of the church porch is the tomb of William Jackson and his wife, who lived in "Springback", now The Old Wellhouse. Jackson provided the stone wellhead known as “Buckwell” or “Lion’s Mouth" by piping water from a well in his own garden.
St Peters Church from the lower graveyard