Binton Social Club is at the top of the village sitting upon the hill which affords it magnificent views over the Warwickshire countryside.
For further information please go to the Social Club website at
http://www.bintonclub.co.uk or telephone on 01789 750631.
A potted history of the Club
Binton Social Club is probably the oldest licensed club in the British Isles. It was originally an agricultural barn with cottage attached, owned by the Marquis of the Ragley’s estate which included a very large area of south Warwickshire including Binton village.
The village was tenanted by families, whose men folk mostly worked for the Estate, and in their leisure time gardened allotment plots. The Marquis allowed such workers to use the barn as a meeting place. Women and boys under 16 years were excluded.
A committee was formed by the men, and on May 7th 1890 a lease was granted by the Marquis at £20.00 per annum, for the use of the barn as a clubroom, together with nine acres of allotment gardens.
The Ragley Estate sold the properties in Binton, and in December 1955 the clubroom, cottage and the allotments were bought for £750.00. Today the club, which originally drew members from Binton, Temple Grafton, Ardens Grafton and Luddington (all part of the Ragley Estate) has members from a very wide area.